Sunday, March 22, 2009

My One Week Leave

21 Mar 2009 was indeed a special day for me and the love of my life, Yeok Ying. This is the day when we officially and customarily becomes husband and wife. 8 years of courtship and 1.5 years of planning comes down to this single day. A day when we pledged our love for each other for the rest of our life. This was really a BIG day for us.

It seems that 21 Mar 2009 was a hot hot date for weddings. Lots of other weddings were taking place all over Singapore. Just at our hotel alone, there were two other couples hosting their wedding. I believed that this was one of the 吉日on a weekend after the Chinese New Year and before 清明, which is considered not good for wedding.

I was already losing sleep two days before my wedding. I lost appetite for food. I lost 3kgs in that one week. Yap, getting married was indeed a stressful event. Not that I am having any second thoughts but were more worried about cock ups during my big day. I mean, we have planned for 1.5 years, I would not want any major cock ups. I am not hoping my day to be prefect, I just want everything to go smoothly. Another course of worries was my guests. I was worried if my guests would turn up? Would they go to the wrong hotel? Would they be late? Would they have any parking lots? I knew I should not be worrying these much, but that is just me, I simply cares too much about everything that might spoilt my day. For these, my stress level was really high, resulting in my losing of sleep and weight.

So to remove some of my worries, I sent out emails and SMSs informing my guests of the exact hotel where my wedding would be held. Many feedback from my guests were that my wedding dinner venue was to be at the Furama in Chinatown. I do not really blamed them for not looking closely at my wedding invites as most people did not know that there were two Furama in Singapore. Moreover, they both have similar road names. The one in Chinatown known as Furama City Centre is located at Havelock Square. Mine wedding venue is known as Furama Riverfront located at Havelock Rd. So that makes the confusion. Reminders were also sent out to inform that another two weddings were going on during that night which would result in limited car park lots.

After all these were done, we were running around for that one week. Going for fitting of gowns, RSVP our guests, planning and re-planning our sitting arrangement, go for haircuts, go ROM to collect our wedding certificate, sourcing for ties for my weddings, doing up our wedding day programme etc etc etc... really lots and lots of work.

Planning the guests list for the dinner was really the most headache and difficult one. This person wants to sit with another person, another friends got conflict with this guy etc.... then after confirming our arrangement, there would be last minute cancellation of attendance. I am fine with a table of 8-9, but nope for lesser than that. We were still changing our seats arrangement on the eve of our day. In the end, a total of 10 guests from both sides drop out in the last three days leading to our day. No choice, a major reshuffle was done very last minute. I made the decision to combine my friends with her friends. This is not advisable as both sides would felt weird. But then, no choice, because we would not want empty tables.

By the eve of our day, we decided to confirm our guest list. We decided that we should not be bother any more if there were further drop outs. Luckily, only another guest did so......

Went to bed at about 1 am on the eve. Was woken up by my parents at about 3.30 am. It seems that they also can't sleep and was doing something in the living room. Told myself to get more sleep. Was once again woken up my parents at 5 am odd. Hahaha... my parents were as excited and nervous... Decided to get up and get ready by 5.45 am, 15 mins earlier than planned. Later I was told that my some of my brothers gang whom were to help me out in our wedding were already having kopi at the kopishop near my house. Some great brothers I got there... Thanks to all my brothers!

No comments: